Entry #7- Revisiting the Business Model Canvas

Now a few weeks into our experiment, I think it’s time to revisit the business model canvas that our team created earlier in the semester. Does the hydroponics system still follow the general bulletpoints of our model? What needs to be change or adjusted? Will its value impact still be about comparable?

Many of the general aspects of our canvas are still accurate, such as Key Partners and Key Activities. Our Activities include “production of the hydroponics system, distribution of the products, and receiving feedback from customers.” These are broad enough that the changing of our actual system structure does not merit the fixing of these parts of our business canvas. This also holds true for our Value Propositions section. The value created by our system still includes refugees growing their own food, helping a market devleop in these areas, giving refugees a productive activity, and growing kale which is rich in nutrition. The main aspect of our model that needs adjustment is the Cost Structure. In building our actual system, we switched out many of our planned materials for different ones, which definitely changes the cost structure of what we have built. Instead of counting buckets, manaul air pumps, and “wick material” as part of the cost, we need to substitute those for one large container, a plant trough, cotton material such as socks or a tshirt, and an electric air pump with an airstone. After fixing these details, our system will continue to be on track with what we orginially planned it to be in our business model canvas.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Entry #7- Revisiting the Business Model Canvas

  1. When we were writing our business canvas, I believe we changed out the majority of our resources for different materials, so it is reassuring to see that other groups doing the same. The business model canvas is something that maintains fluidity because there are always more ways to minimize costs and maximize impacts as new technology and ideas come about. For us, we realized many of our goals were unrealistic for the stage we were at. We were able to reevaluate and set more realistic goals and it allowed us to make significant progress, allowing us to get closer to our larger goals. with your system, our group admired your use of resources with minimum waste.

    Like

  2. Follow up on Jack’s comment, we shared a similar experience when it came to readjusting our business model. We attempted to make the most efficient hydroponics system in the most inexpensive fashion possible. Although it was a tough task, it was interesting to see how when innovative people get when their budget for supplies is low. We figured the most important part of this project would be to mimic the refugee experience with Open Source hydroponics, so we limited ourselves to materials and a budget that would manifest such an experience. Hopefully yours turned out as successful as ours did!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s